Vienna Virtuoso Festival Competition
Vienna Virtuoso Festival Competition is open to all instrumentalists (Piano, Piano Duo, Strings, Winds, Harp, Voice and Chamber Music Groups) of all nationalities and countries. Participants are required to submit video recording materials for the audition. Multiple winners will be chosen in each age category.
Each discipline is divided into different age categories:
Young Musician (8 years old and younger), Junior (9 – 12 years old), Intermediate (13 – 15 years old), Advanced (16 – 18 years old) and Young Professional (19 – 35 years old).
Chamber Music Groups is divided into three age categories: Group A (12 years old and younger), Group B (13 – 18 years old) and Group C (19 – 35 years old).
Competition Winners will perform at the prestigious Baroque Hall at Altes Rathaus in Vienna, Austria on:
- Wednesday, August 8, 2018
Special prizes for best performances may be awarded based on the judges’ recommendations.
Four qualified international judges will evaluate audition materials.
The 2018 Vienna Virtuoso Festival competitions is chaired by Ms Lisa Smirnova.
Professor Smirnova is a renowned Austrian Concert Pianist and she holds the positions of Exclutive Director of Schumann Junior, Professional Studies Center at Robert Schumann Hochschule Düsseldorf Germany.
- Winners Recital Date : Wednesday, August 8, 2018
The application packages acceptance will be closed on May 15, 2018.
The results will be announced: May 17, 2018
How to Apply
To apply for the Competition, participants must submit:
- A completed online Application Form.
- Send the link of your video in YouTube or WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who provided a link to a YouTube video do not need to mail a DVD.
- Biography and photo e-mailed to email@example.com.
- Biography of the applicant in MS Word format (not to exceed 80 words). Include past participation in competitions, festivals and other public events. Portrait photo in electronic format, to be used for the Competition brochure printing.
- Application Fee.
Application Fee for Solo Performers – €125
Application Fee for Chamber Music Groups – €60 per member.
Application Fees are not refundable.
PayPal payment option below. Additional fee 5% will be added to cover PayPal service charge.
By clicking on “Pay Now” button you will be directed to PayPal.
Chamber Music Groups Member
Age category and time limit for Video submission:
|8 Years Old and Younger||YOUNG MUSICIAN||5 Minutes|
|9 – 12 Years Old||JUNIOR||6 Minutes|
|13 – 15 Years Old||INTERMEDIATE||6 Minutes|
|16 – 18 Years Old||ADVANCED||8 Minutes|
|19 – 35 Years Old||YOUNG PROFESSIONAL||8 Minutes|
Chamber Music Groups
(Piano four hands, piano duo, Violin Duo, Cello Duo and mixed ensembles etc.)
|12 Years Old and Younger||GROUP A||5 Minutes|
|13 – 18 Years Old||GROUP B||7 Minutes|
|19 – 35 Years Old||GROUP C||8 Minutes|
* Age according to the registration deadline as 1st February 2018.
|AGE||CATEGORY||DATE OF BIRTH|
|8 Years Old and Younger||YOUNG MUSICIAN||02/05/2009 or Later|
|9 – 12 Years Old||JUNIOR||02/05/2005 – 01/05/2009|
|13 – 15 Years Old||INTERMEDIATE||02/05/2002 – 01/05/2005|
|16 – 18 Years Old||ADVANCED||02/05/1999 – 01/05/2002|
|19 – 35 Years Old||YOUNG PROFESSIONAL||02/05/1982 – 01/05/1999|
|AGE||CATEGORY||DATE OF BIRTH|
|12 Years Old and Younger||GROUP A||02/05/2005 or Later|
|13 – 18 Years Old||GROUP B||02/05/1999 – 01/05/2005|
|19 – 35 Years Old||GROUP C||02/05/1982 – 01/05/1999|
Last Updated: 05 April 2018
Applicant may choose one or two pieces from the standard repertoire (Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary periods). One movement of Sonata could be accepted as a separate piece.
- Only one piece (the submitted competition piece) will be performed at the Winners Recital. Successful participants may NOT change their repertoire for the winners recital.
- Only original pieces will be accepted for pianists, no shortened versions.
- Only un-edited video can be accepted for the audition (parts of video connected together or video clips are not acceptable).
- Recordings should be a fair representation of the Contestant’s abilities, but need not be of a professional quality. Applicant’s name and exact title of the audition piece must be included in the description of the video on YouTube (Vimeo, etc.).
- Contestants must perform from memory. No repeats. Music for Chamber Music Groups does not have to be memorized.
- Any submitted DVD will not be returned.
- Judges comments will not be disclosed. Judges’ decisions are final and can’t be appealed.
- The final selection of winners will be based solely on the video recordings submitted.
- No changes to biographical information are allowed after the application is submitted.
- Competition results will be published on the Vienna Virtuoso Festival Website on 20 June, 2018.
- The Certificates will be granted to the performing winners only, after the Winners Recital & Award Ceremony in Vienna.
- Winners who have chosen not to participate in the Vienna recital for any reason may be disqualified.
- Vienna Virtuoso Festival Organizational Committee reserves the rights to make any changes into the rules, dates schedules and other information related to the Competitions or Published on this site.
Steps for Applying
- Submit your video, online registration form and registration fees before 1st May.
- You will receive your results on 9th May with details of the Vienna Music Tour via email.
Successful participants will receive invitation to perform in Vienna and attend the Music Academy with master teachers. There will be an option to join a special designed 9-day Vienna Musical Tour. (Accommodation, meals and land transport are included for Participants who sign up for academy and musical tour)
- Send in your letter of acceptance to confirm your performance slot at the Vienna Virtuoso Winners Concert 2018.
Vienna Virtuoso Festival gives an opportunity to all young musicians to perform on stage in the international concert venue.